It’s Hollywood awards season, a time of year when you see a lot of updos. Trust me, many of your favorite stars will be rocking all types of updo variations: mini-updo, half-updo, braided updo, and more. There are so many updos, that you will be tempted to try this hairstyle too. Why not? Once reserved for special occasions, such as weddings, proms and red carpets, updos have experienced a trend transformation on their own, with perfect styles for day or evening, work or play. Moreover, whether you are natural, curly or straight, there is an updo for you too.
Here are three of our favs rocking a half-updo at the Golden Globes Awards (via InStyle.com). Weigh in on this hairstyle. Who wears it better, Laverne Cox, Eva Longoria or Regina King? Vote in the Hair Trend Weigh In Poll below the picture.
So if you’re considering an updo, consult with your hairstylist. Bring in pictures so that he/she can see what you have in mind. If you’re trying this hair transformation at home, here are a few suggestions from The Hairstyler.com:
- Prep your hair. – starting with second day hair will make the updo easier to style.
- Use the right tools [e.g., ceramic curling iron].
- Keep your updo in place. Use bobby pins and Crisscross them for stronger hold and try to match the color of the pins to your hair color so that they blend in with your strands.
- Control Frizz and Fly-Aways Hair Strands – Keep them controlled by making sure your hair is in tip-top condition and well hydrated. Before styling, run a hair serum through your strands to combat frizz. After styling, spritz a large, clean makeup brush with hairspray and ‘paint’ over your strands to keep little fly-away pieces of hair at bay.
- Accessorize: Nothing makes an upstyle more complete then the use of hair accessories! Use sparkly pins, decorative clips, detailed headbands and even hair color to give your updo plenty of head-turning extras once you’ve pulled your locks into place!
Just for hair fun, why not try a virtual half-updo, courtesy of InStyle.com. You can use a virtual model or upload your photo (visit this link to register and use the app). We gave our “Transformation Thursday” virtual model the Beyonce half-do. Can you say fierce?
To learn more, #AskKarlinesSalon – we’re just a call or click away. Here’s to healthy and happy hair!
Master Stylist and CEO